Apply Visit Contact

Admissions Criteria

What are the Admission Criteria?

The admission criteria and application process can be found on the MSW-Application Process page. 

Are there any prerequisite courses? 


What qualifies an applicant for advanced standing admissions?

Applicants with a Bachelor of Social Work degree from a CSWE-accredited program can apply for Advanced Standing. 

Do any undergraduate courses count towards the MSW Degree?


What if I do not have a 3.0 GPA?

Applicants not meeting the minimum GPA requirements for unconditional admissions may still be considered for admission with other evidence of ability to complete the program of study. Contact the MSW Program Director, [email protected] for specific details and options. 

Is the GRE or interview required?

No. However, interviews and the GRE are sometimes used selectively when applicants do not meet the minimum admission requirements.

Am I required to have work experience? 


Application Process

How do I apply?

Click on the following link to access the application process page:  MSW-Application Process page. 

When can I start the program?

Students admitted to the Foundation Program are able to start the MSW program in the fall semester. Students admitted as Advanced Standing (applications having earned a BSW degree from a CSWE-accredited program) are able to start in either the summer or fall semester. No students can start during the Spring semester. 

What are the application deadlines?

To allow sufficient time to have your application reviewed and for the best field placement, applicants should apply, and submit all supporting documents by the application deadline. The application deadline is based on starting semester and full-time or part-time standing.

Advanced Standing

Undergraduate degree in social work from a program accredited by the Council of Social Work Education (CSWE).

Full-time/Part-time, Summer Semester:  April 30

Full-time/Part-time, Fall Semester: June 30

Foundational Standing

Undergraduate degree in a major other than social work.

Full-time, Fall Semester: April 30

Part-time, Fall Semester: July 31

Note: Applicants who have not completed their undergraduate program are still invited to apply to the Newman University MSW program. If accepted, admission may be conditional for receipt of an official transcript showing the completed undergraduate degree.

Can I transfer graduate credit from another graduate Social Work program?

A maximum of 6 graduate credit hours may be transferred from other CSWE-accredited institutions at the discretion of the MSW Program Director and the Graduate Program Director. 

Are the forms provided the only acceptable format for the letter of recommendation?


Tuition and Financial Aid

What is the cost of attendance? 

Click here for the link for tuition and fee information. Click here for financial aid information.

How many credit hours must be enrolled in to qualify for financial aid?

Enrollment in a minimum of 6 credit hours is required for the Fall and Spring semesters and is considered full-time for graduate students. (For the summer semester, enrollment in at least 3 credit hours qualifies for financial aid). 

What financial aid is available? Are there any scholarships?

Unsubsidized federal loans are available, up to a maximum of $20,500 per academic year. Graduate Plus loans may also be available. Check with the Newman University Financial Aid office (316-942-4291, ext. 2103) for additional information. Scholarships are not available through Newman University.

How do I apply for federal financial aid ( A Stafford Student Loan)?

A student will need to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at  After Newman has received the FAFSA, an award letter will be mailed to the student or will be available to accept online through JetStream. First-time borrowers will need to complete two online forms at which are the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling.

If my employer provides tuition reimbursement, what do I need to do?

Newman University offers a tuition reimbursement policy that allows you to delay all or a portion of your tuition payment.  Click here to review the policy information and instructions.

Does Newman University offer payment plans?

Yes.  Students may enroll in a monthly payment plan through NBS e-Cashier Automatic Payment Program.   The following is a link to information on the payment plan program:  Newman Payment Plan Information.

Does Newman offer any scholarships for Social Work students?


Program Structure and Format

How many credits does it take to complete the program?

Advanced Standing Program
34 credit hours of coursework, which includes 10 semester credit hours of fieldwork and related integrative seminars 

Traditional Program
62 credit hours of coursework, which includes 20 credit hours of fieldwork and related integrative seminars

How long do I have to complete the program?

Six years.

Are classes offered online or on-campus?

Classes are offered in-person in both Wichita and Colorado Springs. Occasionally, an online class may be offered. 

What does the course school look like?

Click here for the Traditional Program.
Click here for the Advanced Standing Program.

Where can I find a course schedule?

Click here for the interactive course schedule. Select the term and “Social Work” for the Department and click “Search” to display the current schedule. 

How long does it take to complete the Program? 

Advanced Standing Program
Full time:  1 year over 3 continuous semesters
Part-time: 2 years over 6 continuous semesters

Traditional Program
Full-time students:  2 years over 5 continuous semesters
Part-time students: 4 years over 11 continuous semesters

When are courses offered?

Wichita - Most courses are offered in the evening in addition to conventional daytime academic hours. It is possible that time conflicts between scheduled classes and external work obligations can occur.  While some level of accommodation is possible in such situations, the MSW program cannot accommodate all possible conflicts.  Some degree of flexibility on the part of employers and students may be necessary to complete MSW studies within program guidelines. 

Colorado - Courses are offered on afternoons and evenings, accommodating working students.

How long do classes last?

All classes are 16-week semesters.  Classes typically each meet once per week, for three hours. 

Where can I find course descriptions?

Link to online course catalog: View Social Work course requirements and descriptions online

What does the Newman Social Work program offer that others don't?

Newman University offers students a rigorous, supportive, and individualized education both in the classroom and in the field with a trauma-competent focus. Fieldwork sites are available for students at major social service agencies, hospitals, and clinics in Kansas and Colorado

What are the options for pursuing the MSW while continuing work?

Part-time study is available for both Traditional and Advanced Standing students.  Most courses are offered in the evening in addition to conventional academic hours, to meet the needs of working students.

Is the program accredited?

Yes.  The MSW program is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education and the HLC (Higher Learning Commission) of the North Central Association (NCA).