Western Kansas

Western Kansas benefits from the offering of several undergraduate and graduate programs with the same quality education you expect from Newman University - without the need to travel to Wichita, Kansas. 

Accelerated Pathway to Teaching

Complete your Elementary Education K-6 Degree in 16 months with classrooms available in Dodge City, Garden City, Liberal, Great Bend, and Wichita. Zoom (online collaboration) technology is available for students who live one hour or more away from a classroom.

Once you have completed the general education requirements at your community college, it takes 16-months to complete the Accelerated Pathway to Teaching program at Newman, including teaching internship (student teaching). Most courses are offered at night two to three evenings a week, with some summer coursework required.

Teacher Education Program Requirements

  • Cumulative 2.7 GPA
  • 60 or more credit hours
  • Completion of all general education courses (may have 6 hours still to complete)
  • Completion of application to the School of Education
  • Passing assessment test-ACT or Core Assessment (Reading, Writing, Math)
  • To receive a degree or recommendation for licensure from Newman, a student must complete at least 30 hours from Newman University

English as a Second Language (ESOL) Endorsement Program

In Kansas and throughout the nation, there is a growing need for teachers who can provide instruction and educational support when English is the second language for students. Newman University provides the specific courses that are required for Kansas Licensure Endorsement as an ESOL Teacher. These courses can also be used as the basis for a M.S. ED. Degree Program in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in English as a Second Language.

General Education Transferable Credits by College

View Transferable Credits

Can I transfer in credits?

  • A student may transfer in a maximum of 74 community college credit hours into the Teacher Education Program.
  • There is not a limit to the number of transfer credit hours from a four-year institution.

If I already have a degree, am I eligible for the Teacher Education Program and Licensure?

  • Yes, a four-year bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science degree from a regionally accredited community college will meet the university’s general education requirements.
  • In addition, if a student has a four-year degree and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0, the entrance testing requirement will be waived.
  • Associate of Science and Associate of Arts students must also have a “C” in select courses.
  • Degree and licensure students must complete the university's theology and philosophy requirements.


Hennessy Hall on the old Saint Mary's campus, west entrance
236 San Jose, Suite 39, Dodge City, KS 67801

View Western Kansas Staff