The Advanced Standing Advantage
What is the Advanced Standing program?
The Newman University, in conjunction with area high schools,has developed the Advanced Standing Program.This program allows high school students to earn college credit through specific courses offered at each high school while fulfilling high school requirements.
There are many reasons to choose Newman University to take college courses while in high school. Here are just a few:
- Newman does not require students to enroll in the college before signing up.
- There are no admission fees in order for you to take these courses.
- Online enrollment is easy and only takes only a few minutes.
Advantages of taking Advanced Standing courses while in high school:
- At large universities it is often difficult to get enrolled in prerequisite classes because they are in such high demand.
- By enrolling in the Advanced Standing courses at your high school, you will get personal instruction from your high school teacher with a small instructor/student ratio. As a result, your chances of success are far greater.
- You will be considered an official Newman University Jet while attending high school!
- You will receive a Newman ID card which allows you into all on-campus events such as NCAA Division II athletics games, theatre productions, fine art galleries and much more!
- Additional academic assistance is available at no charge through our peer tutoring program. E-coaching for writing is available as well.
- The Dugan Library is also available to you. You will have access to library resources as well as study rooms. The new Advanced Standing lib.guide is also a great academic resource for upcoming projects/papers.
- Plus, Advanced Standing students who enroll at Newman after high school will receive their money back in the form of a one-time credit toward their first semester bill at Newman! Receive your one-time credit in the total amount of money you have previously invested in Advanced Standing courses prior to high school graduation.
How to Enroll
Thank you for your interest in our Summer 2019 Advanced Standing program.
Click here to view the 2019 Summer Schedule
The cost is $75 per credit hour, plus any additional associated course fees such as lab fees, course materials and/or textbooks. Most of these courses are 3 credit hours, although the Science courses may have more credit hours. Math and English placement tests may be required prior to enrollment in certain courses for students who have not previously earned college credit in these areas.
Summer enrollment is limited to two courses at the Advanced Standing rate.
If you find any courses that you are interested in taking, simply complete the Summer 2019 Advanced Standing Registration form by clicking on the Google link below:
Once you submit the google form, you will be contacted via email to confirm enrollment. Once enrollment is confirmed, you will be able to pay for the course and any related fees (if applicable).
Payment in full is expected before courses begin and you will be notified by email once you have been enrolled. Payment plans are an option if students are unable to pay the full amount at the time of enrollment.
Textbooks and Course Materials: You may be required to purchase textbooks/materials for the course(s) you choose.
Information about any required textbooks or other course materials is available from the Bookstore online here: https://bookstore.mbsdirect.net/vbm/newmanu.htm. You can contact our Bookstore (316-942-4291 ext. 2102) for information about purchasing or renting the textbooks for the duration of the course.
- Students must have a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Students must be enrolled in high school classes
- Students must have the permission of their guidance counselor
- Students must have their parent or legal guardian's permission
- Students must complete enrollment and submit payment
- A maximum of 30 credit hours can be taken through one particular high school
Watch the videos below for Advanced Standing registration instructions.
- Have Username and Password ready.
- Username is usually last name +student ID number.
- Please do not create a new user account if you are a returning student as this will create a duplicate record in our system.
If you need username or password assistance, you may contact the Registrar at 316-942-4291 ext. 2121
Courses typically transfer to other colleges. To find out how they will transfer, contact the registrar of college you plan to transfer to. You will need the Newman course number in order to check, which is located on the handout received at the enrollment presentation or on the Newman schedule of courses page.
Newman transcripts reflect the grade earned in your college level course. Once enrolled, you may access your Newman grades online through your Jetstream account. If Newman is not your college of choice, you can order your transcript online at the end of your senior year and have it sent to the college you will be attending.
You can order your transcripts through Clearinghouse. A small fee is required.
Note: FERPA laws prohibit Newman University from releasing academic records or transcripts to parents without written permission from the student.
There are two ways to discontinue a course: by drop or withdraw.
Drop - Within two weeks from the beginning of the course you may drop a course for a full refund and without any record to your transcript. We consider the presentation date the beginning of the course.
Once the course has been dropped, a confirmation email will be sent to you.
Withdraw - After two weeks from the beginning of the course you may withdraw from a course to avoid a penalty to your GPA but the fee may only be refunded for a portion of the course attended. No refunds will be accepted after four weeks into the course. Your transcripts will indicate a "WD" for the course but is not calculated into your GPA.
Please note: Dropping or withdrawing a course from your high school does not mean it is dropped or withdrawn from Newman so be sure to contact Newman University when doing so.
Yes - Advanced Standing students are eligible to access the same tutoring services that traditional Newman students receive. Please visit the Academic Resource Center page for more info.
Request a personal tutoring session: http://newmanu.mywconline.com
Learn more about tutoring services: Academic Resource Center
Visit the Advanced Standing LibGuide Portal, where you can access links to register classes, access academic journals, log into Jetstream and more.