To provide greater safety for yourself as well as others you will soon be living with, certain items are not permitted for future residents. See below for a detailed list of great things to bring and things that would be better left at home.
What to Bring
For Class and Homework
- A computer and printer
- Dictionary and thesaurus
- Pens and pencils
- Index cards and highlighter markers
- Paper clips, folders, and other school supplies
- Small stereo/headphones
- Camera to record memories
- Photo albums
- Alarm clock
- Small tool set
- A pillow
- A blanket
- Bed sheets
- Pictures from home
- Pajamas that you'll feel comfortable wearing in the hall
Room Organization and Decoration
- Dry erase board and pens for door
- Study lamp
- TV/DVD player
- Small refrigerator, 6 cubic feet or less (larger refrigerators will not be allowed)
- Small microwave, less than 750W (larger microwaves will not be allowed)
- Plastic containers for food
- Extra clothes hangers
- Posters and simple decorations (all posters/decorations should be appropriate for a Christian community)
- Small fan
- Address book, stationery and stamps
- Snack food and drinks
- Basic eating utensils, plate, bowl, cups, etc.
- Manual can opener
- Quarters for laundry
- Laundry detergent, stain remover, fabric softener
- Laundry basket
- Extra towels, sheets and blankets
- 3M Command Adhesive Strips© (This is the only method of hanging decorations that is recommended by ResidenceLife. Nails, pins, duct tape, or any other materials that will otherwise remove paint from the walls or damage the walls in any way are prohibited.)
- Surge protector
What NOT to Bring
- Space heaters
- Cooking appliances with exposed heating elements – This includes, but is not limited to toasters, toaster ovens and George Foreman grills.
- Pets—Fish are allowed, but the tank must not exceed 20 gallons
- Incense, Candles, or oil lamps
- Alcohol (Only permitted in Fugate Apartments where both/all residents of the apartment are over the age of 21).
- Empty alcohol containers or bottles (Only permitted in Fugate Apartments where both/all residents of the apartment are over the age of 21).
- Street signs, flags, parachutes, barricades, cones, etc. that have been illegally acquired – If you choose to bring any of these items with you, you must provide written documentation that you acquired the items in a legal fashion.
- Highly flammable decorative material such as hay, straw, Spanish moss, cloth ceiling coverings, or any decorations deemed dangerous by the Residence Life staff.
- Wireless internet routers (Wireless internet is available at certain areas on campus)
- Weapons, Fireworks, or explosives – Weapons of any kind, firearms, ammunition, fireworks, gasoline, and other combustible or explosive materials are not permitted in the residence halls or apartments. It is a violation of university policy to store weapons of any kind on university property (including parked cars). This includes any kind of gun (ie. B.B. guns, air rifles, airsoft guns, paintball guns, etc.), ammunition, bows, arrows, knives and nunchucks.