Vaccination Requirement:

According to Kansas Statue 76-761a, all residential students must be vaccinated for meningitis. Students must submit proof of vaccination prior to moving into the residence halls. Students who received meningitis vaccination more than 5 years ago will be required to receive the meningococcal booster.

About Meningitis:

Meningitis, which can be caused by a number of organisms, is a severe bacterial infection of the tissue (called the “meninges”) that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. The meningococcal organism is spread through saliva and requires close contact with the secretions. The risk of transmitting this type of meningitis is higher within large groups of people who live together such as on military bases or in college campus dormitories. A meningococcal vaccine currently exists to prevent this infection. According the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV4) is the preferred vaccine for people 55 years of age and younger. The vaccines can prevent 4 types of meningococcal disease, including 2 of the 3 types most common in the United States and a type that causes epidemics in Africa. Students who have received the vaccination more than 5 years ago will be required to receive the meningococcal booster to insure adequate protection.

For more information in Meningococcal Vaccinations, please visit:

Although international students may have access to other types of vaccinations, must meet all US requirements for the meningitis vaccination. There are 5 serogroups for Meningococcal meningitis – A, B, C, W, and Y. In the US the most common outbreaks are B, C, and Y. Currently there is no US FDA vaccine containing “B” strain. This is available in the Great Britain and Canada. The US vaccine contains A, C, W and Y. Following the outbreaks on US college campuses last year an investigational study of the B vaccine was initiated but approval isn’t looming. Therefore OUR requirement is for the Novarits Menveo vaccine which covers A, C, W, and Y since it is all that is available here.

Submitting Proof of Vaccination:

All residential students will need to have a physician complete the Newman University meningitis vaccination verification form. This form must be signed by a physician and returned to the Dean of Students Office prior to moving into the residence halls.

The form may be mailed or emailed to:

Student Life Office
Newman University
3100 McCormick Ave.
Wichita, KS 67213
Phone: 316-942-4291 ext. 2200
Fax: 316-942-4483

Email: [email protected]

Print meningitis vaccination form

Where to receive your vaccination:

  • Your Primary care provider
  • Walgreens Take Care Clinics
    710 North West Street M-F 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. and Sat and Sun 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
    555 North Maize M, W, and F 9 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. and Sat and Sun 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Sedgwick County Health Department
    2716 West Central (Central and Meridian)
    Hours: M-W 8 a.m.- 5:00 p.m., Thursday noon - 6:30 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.



According to Kansas Statute 65-129e each student entering classrooms of a post-secondary educational institution in Kansas shall comply with the tuberculosis evaluation requirements.  In order to be in compliance with Newman University policy, all new students and transfer students must complete the TB screening questionnaire.  All International students must complete a TB screening questionnaire on a yearly basis.

**It is the student’s responsibility to fill out another TB form if they have any changes in circumstances where they would answer “YES” to any of the questions on the screening questionnaire.

TB Screening:

Please complete and submit the Newman University Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire. Once submitted the form will be evaluated by university administration.

Follow-up TB testing:

Proof of a negative test can be mailed, emailed or faxed to:

Student Life Office
Newman University
3100 McCormick Ave.
Wichita, KS 67213
Phone:  316-942-4291 ext. 2200
Fax:  316-942-4483
Email:  [email protected]

**Failure to complete the Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire or testing will result in your account being placed on hold and prevent further enrollment.

Immunization FAQs

A: If you have had a positive test in the past you should not get another TB skin test. Your primary care provider will take a blood test or chest x-ray to determine if you have active disease.

A: You will be placed on a drug regimen for treatment of the disease. It is essential that you take your medication exactly as prescribed and for the duration prescribed.

A: This is a serious bacterial infection of the lining surrounding the brain. The complications and outcomes for this disease can be severe including death. A vaccine (one shot) is given for protection. You can check with your insurance carrier to determine if any coverage is provided.

A: The meningococcal vaccine requires booster shot to provide adequate protection if it is over 5 years old.

A: You will be unable to move into the residence halls if you cannot provide proof of vaccination.

A: You may get these at your primary care provider’s office or the locations listed on the NU website link above.