Western Kansas

Complete your Elementary Education K-6 Degree in 16 months with face-to-face instruction in Dodge City and Garden City or through interactive television in Great Bend, Hutchinson, Liberal, Pratt, Ulysses, Scott City, Sharon and Syracuse.
I want to express my sincerest gratitude to Newman University for bringing the Master of Social Work program to southwest Kansas. It helped to address the need of higher education in rural Kansas. Professors being willing to come out and teach classes in person greatly enhanced the quality of the learning experience. ~Rhonda Goodloe, LMSW, Class of 2005

More Information

Once you have completed the general education requirements at your community college, it takes two years to complete the Teacher Education Program (TEP). The teaching internship semester is part of the two-year program. Students enter the program in the fall. Most courses in the program are offered at night three or four evenings each week, with some summer coursework required.

Elementary Education Program Blocks 2012-13 
Early Childhood Program Blocks 2012-13

Teacher Education Program Requirements

  • Cumulative 2.5 GPA
  • 60 or more credit hours
  • Completion of all general education courses (may have 6 hours still to complete)
  • Completion of application to the School of Education
  • Passing assessment test-ACT or PPST
  • To receive a degree or recommendation for licensure from Newman, a student must take at least 30 hours from NU


General Education Transferable Credits by College

Please visit our articulation degree page.

Can I transfer in credits?

  • A student may transfer in a maximum of 74 community college credit hours into the TEP program.
  • There is not a limit to the number of transfer credit hours from a four-year institution.

If I already have a degree, am I eligible for the Teacher Education Program and Licensure?

  • Yes, a four-year bachelor’s degree or an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science degree from an accredited community college will meet the university’s general education requirements.
  • In addition, if a student has a four-year degree and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0, the PPST requirement will be waived.
  • Associate of Science and Associate of Arts students must also have a “C” in select courses.
  • For degree and licensure students must complete the university's theology and philosophy requirements.

English as a Second Language (ESL) Endorsement Program

In Kansas and throughout the nation, there is a growing need for teachers who can provide instruction and educational support when English is the second language for students. Newman University provides the specific courses that are required for Kansas Licensure Endorsement as an ESL Teacher. These courses can also be used as the basis for a M.S. ED. Degree Program in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in English as a Second Language.

Social Work Program  

The Newman University School of Social Work offers courses toward the Master of Social Work degree in Dodge City and Garden City. The Advanced Standing Master of Social Work degree is designed for qualified professionals who have a BSW degree from a CSWE accredited program.

The curriculum is designed to prepare social work professionals for leadership in direct family-centered social work practice. Classes are offered in a format that designed to address the needs of working professionals. Instructional strategies incorporate a blend of classroom instruction, face-to-face activities, simulations, Interactive Television (ITV), and field placements in community social service agencies.

The program is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and graduates of the program are eligible for licensure as professional social workers through the Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board (BSRB) in Kansas and through the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) in Colorado.


Hennessy Hall on the old Saint Mary's campus, west entrance
236 San Jose, Suite 39, Dodge City, KS 67801