Field practicum experience
The field practicum is an integral part of the MSW program. The practicum provides a laboratory for students to demonstrate mastery of social work skills. Multiple placement opportunities are available, including hospitals, schools, community mental health centers, family service agencies, hospice programs, correctional facilities, programs for the elderly, children’s services, substance abuse programs and battered women’s programs. Students are supervised by agency-based social workers with consultation by a faculty liaison. Integrative Seminars further assist students in merging classroom and practicum experience.
Generalist-Year Practicum consists of 16 hours per week for a total of 452 clock hours over 27 weeks during the academic year (432 hours in the field agency and 20 hours in the Integrative Seminars).
Specialist-Year and Advanced Standing Practicum consists of 20 hours per week for a total of 640 clock hours over 31 weeks during the academic year (620 hours in the field agency and 20 hours in the Integrative Seminars). Total of 1052 hours in the field placement agency.
Note: The following files are Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF) files, you will need the latest version to view them.
- Appendix A - Expectations for Student Performance and Behavior Form
- Appendix B - Application for Field Practicum (Standard)
- Appendix C - Application for Employment Based Practicum
- Appendix D - Placement Confirmation Form
- Appendix E - Practicum Hours- Time Sheet
- Appendix F - Report Form - Generalist
- Appendix G - Report Form- Specialist
- Appendix H - Student Learning Agreement- Generalist
- Appendix I - Student Learning Agreement- Generalist Example
- Appendix J - Student Learning Agreement - Specialist
- Appendix K - Student Learning Agreement- Specialist Example
- Appendix L - Process Recording
- Appendix M - Evaluation of Student Learning and Performance- Generalist
- Appendix N - Evaluation of Student Learning and Performance - Specialist
- Appendix O - Student Evaluation of Field Practicum
- Appendix P - Evaluation of Faculty Field Liaison by Field Instructor
- Appendix Q - Change of Field Practicum
- Appendix R - Dismissal from Field Practicum
- Appendix S - Code of Ethics
- Appendix T - Licensure
- Appendix U - BSRB's Role: Determining Who Will Become Licensed
- Appendix V - Student Handbook