Newman University students at the graduation ceremony in their cap and gownsA Newman University student celebrates with their family after the graduation ceremonyMost Rev. Bishop Jackels chats with the Newman faculty after the Baccalaureate Mass the evening before Commencement

GradImages will be photographing all graduates at the upcoming graduation ceremony. Students can save $5 on orders of $25 or more by pre-registering before the event. To pre-register visit the GradImages website.

2014-2015 Graduation


Download the full schedule


Graduation Questions and Answers

What is baccalaureate?

Baccalaureate is a religious ceremony for graduates, their families and friends. Newman’s Catholic Mass includes special readings and special music. Graduates of all faiths are encouraged to attend.

Graduates are involved in the service in various ways, especially through the graduate reflections offered during the ceremony. During the semester, graduation candidates are informed of how they can be selected to give a reflection.

How do I know if I am eligible for graduation honors?

Graduation honors are recognized at the commencement ceremony if you meet the following criteria:

  1. Your resident GPA is 3.5 or above at the end of the semester preceding graduation.
  2. Your cumulative resident hours at the end of the previous semester plus the Newman hours you are enrolled in by Oct. 1 for Fall graduates or March 1 for Spring/Summer graduates equal 62 or more.
  3. You are receiving a bachelor’s degree.

If you meet the above criteria, you will be given a gold honor cord when you pick up your cap and gown. Honors are also listed in the commencement program.

What must I do to be eligible for Honors in the Major?

Baccalaureate degrees with Honors in the Major are granted to those students who have been nominated for and accepted in the honors program by the respective school. The student must graduate with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above, and a cumulative GPA of 3.75 or above in the major. Also, the students must have successfully completed a program that includes four hours of independent study, an oral comprehensive examination, and a recommendation of the nominee as an honors candidate by the Oral Committee. Honors in "Major" is printed on the diploma and transcript.

What are honor cords?

It is a special cord worn around the neck over the graduation gown during the graduation ceremony. It is a public recognition of those students who have graduation honors. The university graduation honors of Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude and Summa Cum Laude are recognized with a gold honor cord. Various honor societies may have honor cords also, but they are different colors and are distributed by the faculty advisor for the honor society here on campus.

How do I order my cap and gown?

Caps and gowns are not ordered individually. We do, however, order a bulk shipment based on the size information provided to us by the graduates on their RSVP cards.

How can I order graduation announcements, rings, etc.?

A Jostens representative will be available on campus in the Dugan-Gorges Conference Center at various times throughout the semester. (Watch your Newman email for dates!) Students can also order online at Note: Students who order rings from the Jostens representative on campus will receive a discount that is not available when ordered online.

What if I don’t finish my requirements like I thought I would?

A student’s application for degree is in effect for the academic year in which it is filed. An academic year consists of the fall semester, the spring semester following it, and the summer term following it. If students do not complete their requirements within that academic year they must file again for their degree and pay the graduation fee again.

I won’t be attending the ceremony. Do I still have to pay the graduation fee?

Yes. There is no reduction in the fee if you do not participate in the ceremony.

I am getting two majors. Do I get two diplomas?

No. Only one degree is given at a time and that is the degree for the major you list first on your degree application. Both majors are listed on your transcript and they are listed in the order you list them on your degree application.

I am getting an "Incomplete" in one of my courses. May I still graduate?

Students are expected to complete all their courses by the end of the semester they have indicated they will graduate. They may walk in the ceremony but may not graduate with an "Incomplete" grade.

How long is the graduation ceremony?

We anticipate the ceremony will be one to two hours in length. We ask that you and your guests plan for that time and that you be courteous and not leave before the ceremony has ended. It is strongly suggested that you designate a place to meet your guests following the ceremony as the Grand Foyer becomes very crowded after the ceremony.

Why do I have to file an application to graduate?

Until students file their application for graduation, the Registrar’s Office has no formal notification of their degree, major(s), minors or areas of concentration. The application also gives students the opportunity to list their name the way they want it on their diploma. This is also the name that is printed in the commencement program and read at commencement.

When do I get my diploma?

Diplomas for graduates who have completed all requirements will be mailed three weeks after the end of the semester in which the degree requirements are completed. (See Important Dates for Graduating Students card in the graduation packet.) Diplomas for those graduates who are on "hold" for any reason, (Student Accounts, Library, etc.), will not be mailed until the hold is resolved.

I am taking courses at another college to fulfill some of my degree requirements at Newman. When do I have to have that transcript at Newman?

An official transcript (not a grade report or a faxed transcript) must reach the Newman University Registrar’s Office by the date listed on the Important Dates for Graduating Students card in the graduation packet. Keep in mind that it is your responsibility to request the transcript. It should be sent directly to:

Shirley Rueb, Registrar
Newman University
3100 McCormick
Wichita, KS 67213-2097