How to apply to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program
Please note: These application instructions pertain to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing and the LPN to BSN degrees.
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO APPLICATIONS TO FIND THE SPRING 2016 BSN &LPN APPLICATION PACKET FOR YOU TO DOWNLOAD AND PRINT. ALSO THE INFLUENZA SHOT CAN BE COMPLETED UPON ACCEPTANCE TO THE NURSING PROGRAM.
Enrollment in nursing courses is dependent upon meeting the admission requirements of the baccalaureate nursing program. Admission to the nursing program does not guarantee graduation and graduation does not guarantee licensure.
The Kansas State Board of Nursing (KSBN) may deny a license to practice nursing as a registered professional nurse if the applicant has been guilty of a felony or guilty of a misdemeanor involving an illegal drug offense unless the applicant establishes sufficient rehabilitation to warrant the public trust, except that no license shall be granted to a person with a felony conviction for a crime against persons as specified in article 34 of chapter 21 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated and acts amendatory thereof or supplemental thereto. Also considered are patterns of practice and other behaviors exhibiting an apparent incapacity to practice nursing as described in KSA 65-1120 in the Kansas Nurse Practice Act. All criminal history must be revealed to and will be evaluated by the KSBN before licensure is granted or denied.
Prompt completion of the following will expedite your application process, interview and consideration for acceptance into the nursing program. Acceptance into the nursing program at Newman remains competitive so early application is recommended.
- Undergraduate Admissions (this must be completed to receive an application packet)
- Official transcripts for coursework from all colleges must be submitted to validate coursework.
- Completion of 60 semester hours of designated college courses
- Completed Application Packet including two completed reference forms.
- Completed medical form with immunizations (INFLUENZA SHOT TO BE COMPLETED WHEN ACCEPTED INTO NURSING PROGRAM)
- Interview with Admission and Progression Committee, a minimum GPA of 2.85 in required prerequisite courses is required
CPR Certification (required upon admission to the nursing program)
- A Healthcare Provider Course including Adult, Child and Infant CPR and Foreign Body Airway Obstruction
- Issued in the year of admission to the program
- Computer generated courses are not acceptable
In compliance with the contractual agreements with clinical agencies used by Newman University, a background check is required for all nursing students.
- Admission to Newman University
- Successful completion of 57-60 semester hours of designated college courses. No more than 6 general education hours may be remaining. A grade of C or better must be obtained in all courses.
- Complete application packet
- Interview with Admission and Progression Committee (Minimum GPA of 2.85 in prerequisite courses needed for interview)
- After acceptance, students will need to complete a CPR Healthcare Provider Course, which includes Adult, Child and Infant CPR and Foreign Body Airway Obstruction, before starting the program.
- The CPR course must be received in the year of admission to the program. Online courses will not be accepted
- Successful Drug and Alcohol Screening prior to beginning the program.
- All courses in the nursing curriculum must be taken at Newman University after admission to the program
- Students are limited to 2 attempts at application/admission to nursing and may not apply a third time.
Download the Nursing BSN & LPN-BSN Application Packet (PDF) (PLEASE RETURN COMPLETED APPLICATION TO THE NURSING OFFICE IN ECK HALL 2ND FLOOR.)