Music is a universal art that is profoundly rewarding to study and perform. The program gives students a knowledge of different styles of music. Over the course of the year, students will study and perform major Classical works with an orchestra, traditional Christmas music, and will launch a full scale theatrical production in the spring. Students have the opportunity to take classes in Music Theory, Music History and Musical Theater as well as perform in the pep band and take applied lessons.
Newman University offers a Minor in Music to compliment a wide range of majors in the institution.
Many of our students continue playing organ and piano or serve as cantors and choir members in their respective churches. Several of our students continue performing in local music and theater productions.
Classroom options include:
- Music Theory - where students learn the basics of music notation as well as refine aural skills.
- Heritage of Western Music - an exploratory course into the history of western music.
- Musical Theater - an upper division class that explores the history of American Musical Theater and how a production comes together. Students learn to critique using Aristotle's elements of drama.
- Applied Lessons - available in voice, piano, organ, brass, guitar, woodwinds and strings. Students are given private instruction in their instrument with a highly qualified instructor.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
The Newman Chorale
- The large ensemble, open to anyone on campus that would like to sing and can match pitch
- Students perform at four major concerts/events:
- Theatrical show in the spring
The Newman Troubadours
The select, auditioned ensemble that is featured in all the major concerts as well as a host of events on and off campus, including:
- Campus events
- A variety of venues statewide
Music scholarships are available to students interested in pursuing a music minor and singing in choral groups. Instrumental scholarships are available for pep band members. These scholarships can make Newman University a very affordable option for college education. For more information, please contact:Deanne Zogleman, Director of Music
3100 McCormick Ave.
Wichita, KS 67213-2097
316-942-4291, ext. 2196